December 5, 1864
The Exchange of commissioners
Flag of Truce, etc.
Col. W. H. HATCH and his Assistant, Captain M. J.
O’BRIEN, of the Exchange Bureau, lately on a special visit to Savannah,
arrived in this city by the Savannah
train Saturday afternoon. They are
accompanied by Drs. BROCK and WILLIAMS, and a delegation—Mr. JOHN ENDERS,
Chairman—of the Richmond Ambulance Committee.
The visit of these gentlemen is in direct relation to the comfort and
welfare of our soldiers imprisoned, or lately exchanged or ordered for
exchange, and we commend their claims and purposes to all good citizens who can
aid them in any way.
On Sunday the Commissioners went on board Col. HATCH’s
flag ship, the steamer “Laura,” Captain RAMSAY, and proceeded down the harbor
to the outer buoy, where they were met by Col. MULFORD with his flag ship, the
“Eliza Hancock.” An interview, lasting
about two hours, took place, and arrangements were made for the continued
exchange of prisoners off this harbor.
Col. MULFORD’s fleet, comprising some eight or ten vessels, are now
lying outside the harbor preparatory to receiving prisoners. Another flag of truce will go down on Tuesday
with a number of Yankee prisoners. A
number of officers confined in Fort
Pulaski will probably be
exchanged and returned to us at the same time.
Under the arrangements made with Col. MULFORD there will
be no shelling of the city during the stay of the Exchange Commissioners, which
will probably be from two to three weeks.
Col. HATCH has already turned over to Col. MULFORD, at Savannah, fifty-five
hundred prisoners, and will exchange about five thousand more at this point.
We trust the stay of these gentlemen will be rendered as
pleasant as possible under the circumstances.
Their headquarters will be at the Chafee Building,
Southwest corner of John and Meeting streets.
[Transcribed by Sharon Strout]